Tuesday 1 October 2013

Review | Let's Pretend this Never Happened

One of my good friends kept sending me messages saying “you need to read this book!”, “when you are done reading this, please pick up Let’s Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson!”
For fans of Tina Fey and David Sedaris—Internet star Jenny Lawson, aka The Bloggess, makes her literary debut.

Jenny Lawson realized that the most mortifying moments of our lives—the ones we’d like to pretend never happened—are in fact the ones that define us. In the #1 New York Times bestseller, Let’s Pretend This Never Happened, Lawson takes readers on a hilarious journey recalling her bizarre upbringing in rural Texas, her devastatingly awkward high school years, and her relationship with her long-suffering husband, Victor. Chapters include: “Stanley the Magical, Talking Squirrel”; “A Series of Angry Post-It Notes to My Husband”; “My Vagina Is Fine. Thanks for Asking”; “And Then I Snuck a Dead Cuban Alligator on an Airplane.” Pictures with captions (no one would believe these things without proof) accompany the text.
¶¶¶¶¶
I had no idea who Jenny Lawson (I suppose I do live under a rock) was, or what this book was about. After three days of Gill messaging me about it, I finally looked it up on goodreads. I had seen the cover before in the best sellers section at Chapters before, so I decided to give it a try. Apparently it was funny and I definitely needed to smile.

“...and whenever I had menstrual cramps, I could just pretend that Voldemort was close.”

OH MY FUCKING GOD, you guys! I wish I could write a review à la Jenny Lawson worthy of this book, but I will never be funny enough. I never laughed out loud so much while reading a book in my life. It’s definitely not public transportation friendly if you care about what people around you think of you. I had to stop reading a few times because I was crying with laughers.

This book is a “mostly true” memoir of socially awkward and blogger Jenny Lawson. The author is not afraid of using the F word, or vagina for that matter, so beware! If you are easily offended, do not pick this book, it’s not for you!

“No really. What exactly did you do today, Jenny? Quantify it for me."
"It's not quantifiable. There aren't even metrics for the shit I do.”

I could totally relate to some of her stories. She’s dealing with depression and generalized anxiety disorder and she is really honest about it! I mean, I probably would be too if my social embarrassment tales were as hilarious as hers! When I wasn’t laughing at her epic conversations (her logic is flawless in my opinion), I was nodding in understanding. Who hasn’t wanted to hide under a table at a fancy dinner party because being surrounded by so many people can be overwhelming? We all want to, but Jenny did it! She has become my hero.

“In short? It is exhausting being me. Pretending to be normal is draining and requires amazing amounts of energy and Xanax.”

After reading the book, I went on her blog and spent a good few hours scrolling and soaking up her hilarious (and sometimes very serious) adventures.

I really don’t care what your favourite genre is. Do yourself a favour and pick up a copy of Let’s Pretend This Never Happened. You can thank me later!

P.S. I really didn’t mean to sound rude in my last paragraph.

P.P.S. I was really mad at all the 1 and 2 stars ratings I saw on goodreads. What is up with book snobbism?

My Rating: ¶¶¶¶¶

You can buy this book here

1 comment:

  1. Loved the book even though while I was reading it and laughing there was a part of me that was still sad for Mrs. Lawson's struggle with, sometimes debilitating, mental illness. It does seem like she has an amazing support team around her and it also seems like she's dealing with her mental illness in as healthy a way as possible.

    DEFINITE READ!

    Luzia
    Website

    ReplyDelete